Monday, February 5, 2024

Art Analysis of The Kiss

                 The Kiss Gustav Klimt Klimt the Kiss Klimt Kiss

 The Arts Background

This beautiful painting is called The Kiss and was painted by Gustav Klimt in 1907-1908. Klimt used oil and gold leaf on canvas. Klimt was an Austrian symbolist painter and one of the most prominent members of Vienna Secession Movement. Which were a group of painters who revolted against academic art in favour of a highly decorative style similar to Art Nouveau. He is known for his paintings, sketches, and murals. His primary subject was the female body. One of the big mysteries with this painting is who is in the painting? He never told anyone who is caught in the embrace.

Analysis

This portrait brought out emotions from me first off when I look at it. You can feel the embrace and wonder is it just a loving embrace? Or is it much more, as in the final? There is a sweet tenderness and passion to this couple. He has just enough of them showing but not to much. Everything about this painting shows love between two consensual people. 

I love how he uses very masculine shapes in the rectangles that show strength and virility for a man while using contrasting circles and flowers which are more feminine, maternal and have a softness and yet a tenderness to it. This was one of his paintings where he used irregular shapes instead of patterns which is an interesting change.

He uses texture in this painting with the gold leaf, which was a new technique that he established using very thin gold leaf. He also used the gold leaf in fleks on the background which bring out almost a cosmo effect behind the couple. I think this elevates their loves with the gold all over. His use of the space makes sure your eyes stay on the couple. 

My thoughts

This painting definelty deserves to be in a Palace in Vienna, Austria where it is kept. I would love to go and see it if I ever travel back to Vienna again. I think I would like a print of this above my headboard in my bedroom. Somewhere private, but where you can see if every day. It would need to be on a bare wall for sure so it can shine all by itself. I am thankful my daughter showed me this painting, such a emotional piece.

I hope you enjoyed my analysis of The Kiss by Gustav Klimt. Thank you for reading!


Bibliography

“The Kiss - Google Arts & Culture.” Google Arts and Culture, Google, https://artsandculture.google.com/story/zQURmESPplFKJQ Accessed 3 Feb. 2024. Art and Culture

 



2 comments:

  1. I love the detail that this painter puts into his work, with different shapes and the color of choice that he uses really draws me in. You do not see many artists use yellow tones for a majority of a painting. It gives almost a feeling of mystery to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your insights into the use of shapes, textures, and the overall composition add a deeper layer to the appreciation of this masterpiece. It's wonderful to see how art can evoke such personal and meaningful connections.

    ReplyDelete

Exploring Ukiyo-e: Dive into the World of Japanese Art

Famous Sights of Nikkō: Hannya and Hōtō Waterfalls By Yōshū Chikanobu, 1981 Exploring Ukiyo-e: Dive into the world of Japanese Art I am real...